Girls Can Be Products
DWP’s newest project in the Saki Naka slum community in Mumbai, India has been an amazing success so far. Girls Can Be (GCB) centre was built in late August and after a humbling donation of 5 brand new industrial sewing machines by Deutsche Bank of India the centre hired its first employees in November. The GCB centre now employs 8 full time women from the community who create and produce beautiful hand made, recycled art products which have been sold in Mumbai, Calgary, Whitecourt, Victoria and Vancouver. 100 % of the sales from these products go directly towards paying fair wages for all 8 women and providing programs geared towards literacy, healthcare and educational sponsorship.
GCB products landed in Canada in mid February and can be found at the following locations:
- Poppies Florists in the Atrium building in Victoria are carrying GCB’s recycled plastic Hearts.
- Ramsey and Ramsey Florists in Oak Bay (Victoria) are carrying GCB Hearts and Gift Wallets.
- Breathe Athletic in Victoria is selling GCB’s hand embroidered greeting cards.
- Public Boutique in Victoria is currently selling GCB Garlands.
- Rundle Academy School in Calgary is selling GCB Hearts and DWP calendars.
- ARTickles in Whitecourt is now selling all of GCB’s handmade products in their store.
GCB/DWP is currently looking for more local businesses to promote and sell GCB products. If you have any ideas regarding possible venues, please contact Kane Ryan: email@example.com
GCB products will also be available at all DWP events. Check out the Upcoming Events page to find out more…
BBC World News showcased GCB’s centre on their Indian Business report on March 25th,2012.
Check out the video below: